1 an analysis (often in graphical form) representing the extent to which something exhibits various characteristics; "a biochemical profile of blood"; "a psychological profile of serial killers"
2 a side view representation of an object (especially a human face)
3 biographical sketch
4 degree of exposure to public notice; "that candidate does not have sufficient visibility to win an election"; "he prefers a low profile" [syn: visibility]
5 a vertical section of the Earth's crust showing the different horizons or layers
1 write about; "The author of this article profiles a famous painter"
2 represent in profile, by drawing or painting
- the outermost shape,
view, or edge of an object
- His fingers traced the profile of the handle.
- the shape, view, or shadow of a person's head from
- The brooch showed the profile of a Victorian woman.
- a summary or
especially about a person
- Law enforcement assembled a profile of the suspect.
- the amount by which something protrudes
- Choose a handle with a low profile so it does not catch on things.
- Acting is, by nature, profession in which one must keep a high profile.
the shape, view, or shadow of a person's head from the side
the amount by which something protrudes
- Finnish: profiili
to create a summary or collection of information
- Finnish: profiloida
to act based on such a summary; especially, to act on a stereotype
Profile may refer to:
- Profile, the outermost shape, view, or edge of an object
- Profile photography, a portrait outlining the side view of a person, animal or inanimate object
- Profile, an instrumental guitar album by Jan Akkerman
- Profile (engineering):
- In standardization, a profile consists of an agreed-upon subset and interpretation of a specification.
- In fabricating, a profile consists of the more-or-less complex outline of a shape to be cut in a sheet of material such as laminated plastic, aluminium alloy or steel plate.
- In structural engineering a profile means a hot rolled structural steel shape like an I-beam.
- In civil engineering, a profile consists of a plotted line which indicates grades and distances (and typically depths of cuts and/or elevations of fills) for excavation and grading work. A profile can also indicate the vertical slope(s) (changes in elevation) in a pipeline or similar structure.
- In game theory, a strategy profile is a specification of strategies for every player in a game.
- A Wing profile in aerodynamics is a cross-section of a wing showing the curvature of the upper and lower surfaces.
- Profile, to execute a performance analysis
- Profile, configuration settings and other data associated with an individual user or with a group
- Demographic profile: information about a person or a market segment, as used for example by advertisers
- The FilePro DBMS for Tandy Corporation's TRS-80 computers.
- Profile (finance) relates to a category of investor behavior (investor profile) or a kind of stock (stock profile)
- In Technical Theatre, a Profile spot is a type of lighting fixture.
- In the Unified Modeling Language, a profile provides a generic extension mechanism for building UML models.
- Profile Entertainment, a record label
- Profile Records, a record label
ProFile may refer to:
- ProFile, the name of a hard drive produced by Apple Computer
- Profile, A type of Professional Disk Recorder -PDR a Hard disk recorder from Grass Valley (company)
profile in German: Profil
profile in Spanish: Perfil
profile in Hebrew: פרופיל
profile in Japanese: プロフィール
profile in Polish: Profil
profile in Slovak: Profil
profile in Swedish: Profil
Clio, Muse of history, adventures, analysis, annals, autobiography, bank, beam, biographical sketch, biography, blueprint, border, broad lines, broadside, brouillon, cameo, cartoon, case history, catalog, cataloging, character, character sketch, characterization, chart, cheek, chop, chronicle, chronicles, chronology, coast, confessions, configuration, contour, copy, curriculum vitae, delineate, delineation, depiction, describe, description, design, details, diagram, diary, draft, draw, drawing, ebauche, elevation, esquisse, evocation, examination, experiences, features, figuration, figure, flank, fortunes, framework, galbe, gestalt, graph, graphic account, ground plan, hagiography, hagiology, hand, handedness, haunch, head, hip, historiography, history, house plan, ichnography, image, imagery, impression, itemization, journal, jowl, laterality, legend, life, life and letters, life story, limn, limning, line, lineaments, lineation, lines, list, main features, many-sidedness, martyrology, memoir, memoirs, memorabilia, memorial, memorials, miniature, multilaterality, necrology, obituary, outline, particularization, pattern, photobiography, photograph, picture, planking, plot, portrait, portraiture, portrayal, projection, quarter, record, relief, rendering, rendition, representation, resume, rough, shapes, shore, side, siding, silhouette, skeleton, sketch, specification, statistics, story, study, survey, table, temple, theory of history, tournure, unilaterality, vignette, vivid description, word painting, working drawing